
In addition to the Nobel Prize for Peace, which was awarded to President Barack Obama earlier today, the Nobel Prize for literature was also awarded this week, to Herta Mueller of Romania. You can read about her life and work here: http://www.boston.com/news/world/europe/articles/2009/10/09/chronicler_of_the_dispossessed_gets_nobel_prize/
The Nobel Prize for literature is perhaps the most presitigious prize for writers in the world. On your next quiz, you may have extra credit questions like this (you may want to do a bit of research on Google or elsewhere on the web! The first person to post correct answers in response to this post will get a special prize in class on Tuesday---I will give one prize to the person with the correct answers in each class, 7-1, 7-2, 8-1, and 8-2). Of all the authors on the list of recommended books, who is a Nobel Prize winner (I know of at least one)? What American authors have won this prize in the past 25 years? What is the Latin (and English translation) inscription on the Nobel prize medal for literature (picture shown here, embedded)? I will be checking for answers throughout the weekend, and I will post whoever is first in each class. Have a great weekend.
1.Alexander Solzhenitsyn
ReplyDelete2.Toni Morrison (1993)
3.Inventas vitam juvat excol uisse per artes
(and they who bettered life on Earth by their newly found mastery)
Well done---but there are more authors for both 1 (other Nobel prize winners on the reading list) and 2 (other American recipients in the past 25 years). But, great start.
ReplyDeleteAl Gore won in 2007. I'll keep looking into this.
ReplyDeleteAnother author on the list that won was Pearl S. Buck.
ReplyDelete