Here's your opportunity to share your thoughts on the book. By Wed., Nov. 10th, you should submit a paragraph (50-100 words) on any topic related to the book. REMEMBER not to give away the ending or reveal anything to someone who hasn't read it. Possible starters: I recommend this book because...; My favorite part of this book was...; My favorite character was...; I would not recommend this book because... Click "comments" on the blog (it will actually have a number before it, depending on how many comments have been mad); a new box appears, in which you write your comment; then click "submit." It will be sent to me, and I'll grant permission for publishing.




I have just finished the book, Stand Tall and loved it. It is about a 12 year old boy whose parents are divorced. He is 6 foot 3 1/2 and is still growing. Despite his size,Tree is not good at basketball but his coach won't understand that.Tree tries to fit in but can't because of how tall he is. A new girl named Sophie who plays the flute moves in and is made fun of just like Tree. They become friends with each other. Also, Tree's grandfather has recently got his leg amputated because he got shot in Vietnam. He is struggling a lot because of that. Tree is aptapting to is new life style in this story.
ReplyDeletePatrick McDonough
Matthew McDonnell
ReplyDeleteNovember 4, 2010
I am starting to like the book Tangerine. The beginning was slow and left me with many questsions. But as I slowly made progress through the book it started to heat up. After a few weeks at his new home in Tangerine County, Florida, Paul Fisher (Through his thick glasses.), has noticed things have gotten weird. Daily lightning storms threaten practices, mysteriously stolen items leave everyone questioning their neighbors honesty, and sinkholes that swallow up schools. But these are just some of the events that take place in this thrilling book. The deeper you get into it the more you want to read. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes mystery, action, and sports.
I think that That was Then This is Now was a good book because it was packed with action, emotions, and kept me reading until the end. This book was good because it had a good story line, and really showed how two friends grow apart in a few months, by how much Bryon changed by the end of the book, and how Mark doesn't. There is an ending that will have you shocked, and will leave you wondering...Why? I highly recommend this book if you were a fan of the Outsiders, because the books have alot in common, and sent a similar message throughout the book.
ReplyDelete-Ryan Chrisom
Tangerine was a really good book. I would recommend this book to anyone, including people who do not like to read. My favorite character was Paul ,because he had such a strong heart. He really liked to play soccer. He did all he could in order to play the game. One of my favorite events of the book was when Paul found out the devestating truth of truth of his eyes. Theres was no physical action in this part ,but it was really emotional! Paul finally figures out it was not the Eclipse that caused his bad eyesight. After all Paul has been through. He's been called names and kicked off the soccer team he learns the truth that his parents have known all along....
ReplyDelete-Austin LeBlanc
That Was Then This is Now
ReplyDeleteBy Noah Peterson
That Was Then This is Now is an adventurous story that is similar, but not quite a sequel to The Outsiders. I read The Outsiders before I read That Was Then This is Now, and I have to say that it is a good transition, but not directly associated with the other book. In other words you can read That Was Then This is Now before you read The Outsiders and you won’t be completely confused.
I have not yet finished the book, but so far I am really enjoying it. There is a lot of action in the book that makes you want to keep reading and makes the story interesting. You will be sad, happy, nervous, excited, and worried all though this book. It is very fun and easy to compare the story of That Was Then This is Now to The Outsiders. Overall, I think this is a great book to read if you have read The Outsiders or not. I give this book four and a half out of five stars.
I realy enjoyed reading Tangerine. I would recomened this book to anyone who likes to read.My favorite charectar was Paul because he had some tough things he had to deal with, such as an abusive brother, Erik, the football star, and wearing big glasses that makes him look like a Martian. But when he moves to Tangerine county in Florida, his problems just begin, such as a sinkhole swallows his school, a fire burns for years, and lightning strike evryday at the same time. But after he joines the soccer team, the nerd befriends the best soccer players in the county. While they go undefeated, his parents give all their attention to Erik and his football games, where Erik barely plays because he is only a placekicker. However, Paul is about to uncover a big secret about his family, a secret he should have known a long time ago.
ReplyDeleteJackson Pantedosi
I have just finished the interesting book Tangerine . The book is about a kid in 7th grade named Paul Fischer . Paul is moving to his third state but this town Tangerine is very weird. In Tangerine there are fires every day and lighting always strikes in the same place . Paul plays soccer and he's really good at it but he's always overshadowed by his older brother Erik the football star . Paul's dad is always sucked into Erik Fisher Football Dreamand never pays attention to Paul's soccer. I highly recommend this amazing book. Phil Lynch
ReplyDeleteStand Tall by Joan Baur is a great book. It is about a boy named Tree who is around seven feet in the Seventh Grade. Tree is trying to find his way while getting bullied by Jeremy Liggins. Also, Tree’s parents just had a divorce. This makes tried very sad and brings back memories to him. Lastely, his grandfather had half of his left leg amputated because of a bad bullet wound caused in the Vietnam War. With all of this, Tree manages to keep his composure. I would definetly recommend this to a friend because of the multiple amusing parts in the book.
ReplyDeleteFrom,
Nick
I am currently reading Wher The Red Ferns Grow by Wilson Rawls. This a story about a boy and his dogs. This boy is Billy Coleman and he is from the hills known as the ozark mountains in Oklahoma. He lives in a log cabin with his Mom, Dad, and three sisters. Its set during the great depression era. Billy wants two coon hunting dogs but sadly his family cant afford them. This gives Billy the strenght to work for two long years and made the money to buy them. Many more adventures would come for the trio some good some bad.
ReplyDeleteAidan T. Prew A Block
The book that am reading is Where the Red Fern Grows. I would recomend this book because it has everything that you would want in a book. It is dramatic, sad, adventurous, and exciting. My favorite character in the book is the father. He is my favorite because he reminds me of my father. He gives his son freedom and let's him do his own responsibilities. He also tries to give his son aanything he wants if he can afford it. My favorote part in the book was when he cought his first coon after years of hard work. This is why i would recomend this book because it has everything you would want in a book.
ReplyDeleteJohn Silveira
November 4 2010
"That Was Then, This Is Now" had a great start. until it looked as if the world jsut turned against Bryon. This story tells of Bryon and Mark, two best friends who went through everything together, just like brothers. But when more important things came up in Bryon's life, Mark started to become jealous. They were growing apart, and Mark couldn't handle that. The fact that Bryon was open to changes, and Mark wasn't, justed seemed to pull the tow friends apart. So if you're looking for a great book where nothing goes wrong and the main character is just a perfect, always happy boy, "That Was Then, This Is Now" is not the book for you.
ReplyDelete-Jack Andrews
I read Tangerine by Edward Bloor. I would reccommend this book because it's exciting. You will never be able to stop reading the book. It's to axtious you will always want to continue reading. My favorite part is when Erik hit Tino at that moment i was wondering so many things like if Erik will get in touble, will Tino retalate, what will happen next. Tangerine is a great book, you should read it.
ReplyDeleteIsaiah Miranda
The book that I am reading in English class is Stand Tall by Joan Bauer. This is about a kid who is abnormally tall and his parents are divorced. He makes friends with a girl named Sophie who is new in town, and her parents are divorced also. Tree and his brothers travel back and forth from homes and Tree can't really move on from this divorce since he is only in 7th grade. On the other hand, his brothers dont really get bothered because they are in college! Tree mainly spends his free time with his grandfather Leo who got his left leg shot off in war, and has a prostetic leg. They enjoy talking about their troubles and love building things. I highly recomend this book because it is very enjoyable and seems like the life of a real boy strugling through some hardships!!!
ReplyDeleteMikey Flaherty
I recently read a book called Stand Tall by Joan Bauer and loved every chapter of it. Stand Tall is a story about a boy in seventh grade who is adjusting to some major changes in his life. Tree's parents recently divorced making Tree's family life quiet and akward.To make family matters worse, Tree's grandfather, whom he is very close with, recently had his leg amputated and was given a false leg because of a battle wound he recieved in Vietnam. With Tree's help,his grandfather will be able to walk with a false leg in no time. I would recomend Stand Tall to anyone from fourth to eighth grade. Overall it is a very moving and touching story about family, friends, and the terrors of growing up.
ReplyDeleteAidan Crehan
I would reccomend That Was Then, This Is Now because it has alot of action, and adventure. I loved this book because it follows the months long story of two highschool boys who love each other like brothers. After a horrible turn of events, one of their best friends is dead, their other friend has run away, and the two boys are running out of money for their family. Will they be able to overcome any of these problems?
ReplyDelete-Timothy Jonas
I would reccomend That Was Then, This Is Now to any reader. It has a lot of action and fights. This book is very similar to The Outsiders which is another book by S.E. Hilton. The story is about two teenagers who have been friends since they were little. They love each other like brothers until one of them makes a shocking discovery about the other. Will they relationship last? Read That Was Then, This Is Now to find out
ReplyDeleteChase McElaney
I would definently recommend Stand Tall to a friend. It is a great, realistic book about a teenage boy that is teased because of his amense height. Tree, stands six feet tall in the air, only at the age of 12. The book talks about his many difficulties that he goes through in life along with him being bullied. He struggles emotionally, and physically. He struggles emotionally because he has to deal with his aging dog, recently out of surgery grandfather and his parents divorce. He struggles physically because even with his advantage of his height he still struggles in sports. Also he is not confident in his appearance, so he is an easy target to bully. Owen Anderson
ReplyDeleteWhere the Red Fern Grows is now my favorite book of all time. It has great adventure, friendship, and sadness .The way the author (Wilson Rawls) wrote this book I felt all the excitement from the story. In fact at a few points I almost cried and had to stop reading. By the end of the book I had learned of the adventures of a young boy living in the Ozark wilderness. I would recommend this book to any admirer of the wilderness.
ReplyDeleteBy: Ian Webb
That was Then, This is Now is an excellent book. It is full ox excitement an thrill and mystery. Read it now.
ReplyDelete